Why I Run......why others may run. It might surprise you!


My "Why" goes back to another topical question, "How did you get started running?".  I recently was honored to be asked if I would be interested in writing a "Why I Run" for @themotherrunners and while thinking about how I was going to start it, I realized that I had never really written a "Why I run" piece and I decided it might be a nice blog.  The answer is simple and it did not take a lot of thinking to point to my "why', but it took time to think about how to make my point come across in as few words as possible.

My "why" is history.  I started running in 7th grade when my dad started running around the lake we lived on.  I picked it up because in all the games I played with the neighbors and my brothers, the running part was my favorite part and it was about all that I was good at....I was not good at batting, catching, throwing, shooting baskets, you name it....but in all those games, I loved running and I loved being outside....all year long.

So, yes I enjoyed running but it is much deeper than that. Today, over 45 years later I can tell you my love for running filled a deep-seated need in my soul to feel good about myself and do well at something that was all mine; nobody else in my family ran (my dad did not continue).  

I spent early childhood trying to keep up with all the family sports, Essentially, I thought that I should be able to skate, swim, water ski and snow ski as well as my brothers (who are both older than me). In my mind, I was not very good and a failure at these sports because I only had my brothers to measure myself by. I was the baby of the family and only girl and my Mom did not participate in our family sports, so I was a tomboy and did not understand gender or age differences:) Today, I am thankful as my family made me into a strong, resilient competitor. Those struggles were good for me but everyone needs something to feel good about and running filled that spot for me.

Why I run has everything to do with mental health as well as the pure joy I feel when I am out in nature with my feet hitting the pavement. My mental wellness continues to be paramount and my heart, mind, and soul are renewed and lifted up by running.  I had taken several (about 20) years off due to injury (and lack of PT years ago) and when I later returned, the reason was once again about mental health.  

Even today, as I am going through eating disorder recovery (along with diagnosed depression and anxiety), running is a strong motivator for me to get well so that I can keep on moving and fulill current and future running goals. I cannot imagine my life without running in it. 

Racing is a big part of running life now but it did not start that way. I ran alone all through college.  I did not run with friends or race until about 12 years ago. I have found  new joy and honestly highs in racing (there are a lot of dopamine rushes in training for a race). All that to say, I can go back to just running and not racing but it will be a loss when it happens.

Even though I found running young and I was relatively "good" at it, I was not very good in middle school or high school; there was not an event to fit a long distance runner at that young age....my senior year is when cross country for girls came to my school:) and I did not participate.  By that time, I had had two major injuries, one which I had surgery for and another that I would have surgery for after college. So, my recreational running success did not really come until after my 20 year break. That small "success" (mainly measured by qualifying for Boston) is a driver to continue but it is my running roots that keep me going and wanting to run until I go to the grave.

If when you look at runners and are tempted to think negatively.... things like they must be crazy, selfish miserable or vain or superficial, think again. They may be motivated by something completely different from what you think. Running just might have everything to do with their mental health and not weight loss, physical health or the way they look. It might have to do with being a better version of themselves...a better Mom or Dad, a better student, a better spouse, a better human.  

Running just might simply be about living and experiencing something that brings joy to the heart and soul which we all need to have in our lives. Most runners have a great story behind what makes them get up and out of the bed and onto the pavement. 

We need to cheer for those who have found what makes their heart soar and pray and hope for those still searching. Why I write? Writing makes my heart soar and heals my soul; I pray that we all find our "whys". God has gifted us all and I am so grateful.

Comments

Most Viewed Post

Barbie Movie Blog/Review

Time and Life can be a Sobering Thing-But Don’t wish Maycember Away!

Another Year Coming to a Close